Do you ignore your feet? A lot of people are completely oblivious to their feet, how they function and the effect their footwear has on them. Imagine shoving your hands into a pair gloves all day every day and just forgetting about them! While VOYA Foot Spa Treatments are very popular among our spa accounts, looking after your feet day-to-day is not very usual. Check out our sister company the VOYA Seaweed Baths and their Foot Retreat if you are tempted to treat yourself or a loved one — it’s the perfect way to recharge and relax.
Now, let’s talk about feet and how you can pay them some more attention!
FOOT FACTS- DID YOU KNOW?
- The human foot contains 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments, 19 muscles and tendons.
- Feet are one of the most ticklish parts of the body because of the 8000 nerves there.
- Feet are at their largest at the end of the day.
- The pressure on the feet when running can be as much as four times the runner’s body weight.
- Butterflies taste with their feet, gannets incubate eggs under their webbed feet and elephants use their feet to hear – they pick up vibrations of the earth through their soles.
- Sweat glands in the feet product approximately half a pint of perspiration daily.
- Feet are spreading to support extra weight as our populations pack on the pounds. According to a 2014 study by the College of Podiatry in the UK, the average foot has increased two sizes since the 1970s
- Your feet mirror your general health. Conditions such as arthritis, diabetes, nerve and circulatory disorders can show their initial symptoms in the feet – so foot ailments can be your first sign of more serious medical problems.
- The average foot gets two sizes longer when a person stands up. Find even more foot facts here.
SUMMER FOOT CARE
Summer is here, so it’s time for the foot ignorance to end and for us to put our best foot forward. Here at VOYA we want you to pay some long overdue attention to your toes, we will give you the reasons why and some top tips on achieving the softest feet you’ve had in years. Your feet work incredibly hard! Get them out in all their naked glory and enjoy wearing those summer sandals so much more! Looking after your feet properly now will mean less problems if any in the future.
TOP TIPS TO PREVENT FOOT PROBLEMS INCLUDING CRAMPS!
- Let your feet breath!
TOP VOYA TIP –Walk on the beach barefoot, it’s very good for your posture and overall well-being. It’s the best therapy and workout! Read all the benefits here.
- Wear shoes that fit you properly.
This is actually really really common, since childhood or teenage years, people tend to shove their feet into shoes that don’t actually fit (thinking they do) which causes issues like corns, structural and gait problems (a person’s manner of walking) and later in life back injuries! Unsuitable footwear can also from deformities like bunions and hammertoes. Don’t forget the wrong shoes can also cause foot cramps when you exercise or at night.
- Keep your feet from being too damp in your shoes!
It may be gross but bacterial and fungal infections tend to be more common than we’d like to admit. A major reason for this is that microorganisms need moisture to survive and we often don’t dry our feet properly. Always thoroughly dry your feet before popping on your socks and shoes! Easy.
- Protection against bacteria! Beware if you’re at the gym or swimming pool as viral infections fester where a lot of people commonly walk.
- Hydrate ! Drink more water, your feet sweat a lot!
- Pay them more attention! When you are moisturising your body after a bath or shower, stop forgetting about your feet and the soles of your feet! Keep going down.
TREAT YOUR FEET- HOME SPA IDEA
You will need a bowl or foot spa filled with warm water, soft towels, music, and beauty products.
- Place your feet into the warm water and allow to soak. If you have some bath salts or seaweed leaves add those in. As well as softening the hard skin this will revitalise the feet with essential minerals.
- After soaking, scrub away all the dead skin cells with our new VOYA’s Effervescence body scrub pay attention to in between your toes, your foot soles and heels.
- Rinse off the scrub, and dab the feet dry on a soft towel.
- If you have a willing partner ask them to massage your feet and lower legs with organic VOYA seaweed massage oil. If not you can do this yourself with body oil or body lotion, again pay attention to your soles.
- Finally put your feet up for at least half an hour, while you have nice cup of VOYA tea and let them breathe.
MINI REFLEXOLOGY TIPS FOR DOING AT HOME
Try using your fingers to create a circular rubbing motions on your big toes! This actually helps to ease and relax the muscles in your neck, as applying pressure to the top of the toes correlates to your head! Concentrate on these areas if you suffer from headaches.
One of the main benefits of reflexology is stress relief, if you have an anxious day or find yourself very tense, focus on massaging the neck and head zones in your toes. Apply pressure to the tips of your tops and the bottom side, moving down to the base of your toes and massage these points also.
- Back Pain
People don’t often realise targeting the spinal reflexes on your feet can help back pain. These are located on the bottom half of the soles of your feet and on the top of your foot where your leg begins. Deeply massage these areas for a few minutes to relieve muscle aches and pains.
There needs to be a shift in our thinking about our feet. Let’s start by giving them the attention they deserve!